Treating Hypersexuality in Teens
When it comes to addressing hypersexuality in teenage boys, the right treatment approach is crucial for their long-term well-being. Compulsive sexual behavior can have severe consequences and impact a young boy's mental, emotional, and physical health along with affecting the whole family. That's why here at Oxbow Academy, we specialize in providing a comprehensive evaluation of various hypersexual and compulsive sexual behaviors.
What is Hypersexuality in Teens?
Hypersexuality (also called sex addiction or Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder) is classified by the World Health Organization as a type of Impulse Control Disorder. Hypersexuality isn't simply a matter of increased sexual interest or activity, which can be a normal part of adolescent development. It's a multi-layered issue that is typically rooted in deeper emotional or psychological concerns. This means it's not something a teenager can just 'grow out of' or control without help. Hypersexuality becomes problematic when it causes significant distress for a teenager or puts them in situations where they are at risk of harming themselves or others. Therefore, recognizing and addressing hypersexuality requires a nuanced understanding and a professional treatment approach.
- Persistent, intense, and repetitive sexual thoughts, urges, fantasies, or behaviors that become the central focus of a teenager's life. Consequently, these teens may neglect their responsibilities and relationships in their personal, family, work, or school life.
- Problematic sexual behaviors that cause considerable distress or significant problems or disruptions in at least one essential aspect of daily life, such as family, school, mental health, future career prospects, or personal relationships and social life. Please note that distress solely connected to moral judgments and disapproval of sexual impulses, urges, or behaviors does not suffice to fulfill this criterion.
- Inability to control or stop problematic behavior: They have a persistent inability to control or stop repetitive sexual urges or impulses, which leads to recurring problematic sexual behavior. This might present itself in multiple ways:
- Continue to engage in problematic sexual behaviors despite adverse effects on their relationships, school, work, commitments, or personal health and hygiene.
- Failed Attempts: Despite multiple attempts to control or reduce sexual impulses or urges, there continues to be a persistent pattern of recurring problematic sexual behavior that lasts for an extended period (six months or more).
- Developing a tolerance: Hypersexual teenagers experience a compulsion to progressively escalate their sexual behaviors in order to satisfy their urges. The reason behind this is that their sexual behavior starts to lose its effectiveness as they get used to it and develop a tolerance towards it.
- Withdrawal symptoms: A hypersexual teenager will feel anxious and restless if they don't engage in their compulsive sexual behaviors.
- Loss of Enjoyment: A clear sign of hypersexuality in teens is when sexual activities cease to bring them pleasure, but they still experience uncontrollable urges to engage in them.
If your son's hypersexual behavior is causing or linked to any of the following issues, it may be necessary to seek professional help:
- Overwhelming feelings of extreme guilt or shame
- Using drugs or alcohol
- Potential legal ramifications, including facing charges related to a sexual offense
- Mental health conditions like autism, OCD, ADHD, depression or anxiety
- Poor academic performance, School refusal, or school failure
- Thoughts of self-harm or suicide
- Trouble forming and sustaining relationships with people, particularly a romantic partner, due to their obsession with sex
If you are uncertain about whether your son would benefit from a residential treatment program that focuses on treating hypersexuality in teenagers, we invite you to take our free online assessment. This will help you determine if Oxbow Academy is the appropriate choice for your family. However, even if your son appears to meet the criteria for a hypersexuality treatment program, it is important to undergo an evaluation and treatment planning process to identify the best course of action for healing your family.
Does Your Son Need a Sex-Specific or Hypersexuality Treatment Program?
Our evaluation & treatment planning takes the guesswork out of really figuring out what is going on with your son, and what kind of treatment he may need. No matter what type of sexually inappropriate behavior your son may be exhibiting, this evaluation will help you and the therapist:
- validate the truth,
- understand the extent of your son’s issues,
- identify his unique clinical needs,
- and recommend the best treatment options for healing your family.
At Oxbow Academy, we understand the importance of using a third-party evaluator to help compile all of the information that was collected on each student throughout the evaluation and provide a comprehensive psychosexual evaluation, along with a Sexual Behavior Risk Assessment (SBRA). This will specifically outline your son’s specific treatment needs and recommendations whether this be long-term sex-specific treatment or some other type of treatment. That way you can move confidently forward in the direction of your son’s recommendations and treatment plan, no matter what he may be struggling with initially. Our goal is to help them uncover the truth, and provide a individualized treatment plan for your son.
If your son is recommended to continue sex-specific treatment at Oxbow Academy, you can know your son is receiving specialized and comprehensive treatment to help overcome their harmful patterns and develop healthy coping mechanisms for a brighter future.
Who is the Ideal Student for Oxbow Academy?
At Oxbow Academy, we provide specialized treatment for teenage boys who are experiencing problematic or compulsive sexual behavior. Our program is designed for adolescents who may be struggling with issues such as:
- hypersexuality in teens / teen sex addiction
- teen porn addiction
- chronic masturbation / masturbation addiction
- child-on-child sexual abuse / sibling sexual abuse
- inappropriate touching
- voyeurism & inappropriate staring
or other out-of-control sexual behaviors.
We also help teens who have mental health diagnoses that contribute to problematic sexual behaviors, including:
We understand that these challenges can be overwhelming and distressing for both teenagers and their families. That's why we offer compassionate and effective therapy, tailored to meet the unique needs of each individual. Whether your son is experiencing hypersexual behaviors or has been diagnosed with a specific disorder, our team of professionals is here to provide the support and guidance necessary for their healing journey.
Conquering Teen Pornography Addiction
Most teenage boys will be exposed to pornography by the age of 12. While pornography skews a teen’s perception of a healthy relationship, not all teens who view pornography need residential treatment. Your son may need a treatment program if his drive to view pornography becomes compulsive or impels him to watch more deviant pornography, access pornographic materials in inappropriate settings, or leads to sexually inappropriate behavior. If your son's pornography viewing becomes an addiction or is connected to more severe sexually inappropriate behaviors, he may need a hypersexuality treatment program.
At Oxbow Academy, we offer a comprehensive approach to help teens overcome this addiction and develop healthy coping mechanisms. Our expert therapists specialize in teen sex therapy and provide individualized treatment plans tailored to each student's needs. Through a combination of CSAT therapy, education, and family support, we equip teens with the tools to overcome pornography addiction and build a healthier future.
If you're concerned about your child's involvement with pornography, our sex addiction test can provide valuable insight into their behavior. You don't have to face this challenge alone. Oxbow Academy is here to help your son on his path to recovery.
Overcoming Masturbation Addiction in Teens
Navigating masturbation addiction in teenagers can be challenging for parents. If you’ve discovered your son masturbating, you may be asking, is this a normal teenage behavior or does my son need help? Unlike other forms of hypersexuality in teens that may have more obvious consequences, compulsive masturbation is often done in solitude, making it more difficult to recognize and address. As a result, many teens who struggle with this addiction may only seek help when other inappropriate behaviors are discovered or when chronic masturbation causes physical harm.
While there may be some external consequences, such as viewing inappropriate material or engaging in inappropriate behavior in public settings, the most significant consequence of compulsive masturbation is the emotional toll it can take on your teen's life. Chronic masturbation can be incredibly isolating and shameful. Teens struggling with chronic masturbation often find themselves unable to form healthy intimate relationships and may experience a deep sense of shame and disconnection from others. As a parent, it's important to find professional help for your son to provide him with the support and resources he needs to overcome this addiction and find a path towards healing and intimacy.
At Oxbow Academy, we understand your concerns and offer specialized help in overcoming this issue. Our evaluation and treatment process can help provide our therapist with personalized treatment plans that address the underlying factors contributing to the addiction.
Through specialized CSAT therapy, education, and family support, we equip teens with the skills to recognize triggers, and tools they need to break free from the cycle of addiction and develop healthier coping mechanisms. We also offer a hypersexuality test to assess your child's behavior and tailor treatment accordingly. Remember, you're not alone in this journey, and Oxbow Academy is here to support you and your son every step of the way.
Healing Sibling & Child-on-child Sexual Abuse
At Oxbow Academy, we understand how devastating it can be for families that have experienced sibling or child-on-child sexual abuse. We want to assure you that our team is trained to address this issue with sensitivity and expertise.
We offer specialized therapies, such as CSAT therapy, equipping our therapists with the tools needed to treat teens who have sexually acted out with other children. Our team of experts will work with your teenager to gain a deep understanding of the root causes that led to him sexually acting out. We will:
- assist in preparing him for full therapeutic disclosure with a clinical polygraph,
- conduct comprehensive evaluation and treatment planning/recommendation,
- and offer unwavering support and guidance to your family throughout the healing process.
Our ultimate goal is to help your child and family overcome these challenges and recover from their traumatic experiences. Oxbow Academy therapists work with the whole family system and even the child victim’s therapist when deemed appropriate to allow clarification and reunification. Rest assured that we are here to provide a safe and nurturing environment for your child's and family's recovery.
Dealing with Other Sexually Inappropriate Behavior
Healthy sexual development can be quite a hurdle for teenagers in today's society. With the prevalence of pornography, movies, advertising, and even the news, it has become increasingly difficult for them to distinguish between what is appropriate and what is not. The concept of "boys will be boys" only adds to the confusion, suggesting that males have no control over their actions. Nonetheless, teenagers need to be able to distinguish between healthy sexual behavior and behavior that is problematic or sexually inappropriate.
If your teenage son is struggling with other sexually inappropriate behavior, such as voyeurism, exhibitionism, or inappropriate sexual touching, you're not alone. At Oxbow Academy, we understand the challenges you're facing, and our team is here to provide compassionate support and effective treatment.
Our CSAT therapists are experienced in addressing a wide range of sexually inappropriate behavior in teens, and with the evaluation and treatment recommendations, we can tailor our approach to meet the unique needs of each student. Through specialized therapy, education, and support groups, we help teens overcome these behaviors and develop healthier patterns. You can trust us to guide your child on their journey towards healing and a brighter future.
Problematic Sexual Behaviors & Mental Health: A Look at Sexual Compulsions Connected to ASD, ADHD, OCD, & Bipolar Disorders
At Oxbow Academy, we recognize that problematic sexual behaviors can be interconnected with underlying mental health conditions such as ASD, ADHD, OCD, and bipolar disorders. These conditions can contribute to the development of hypersexuality in teens or the onset of sex addiction.
Through the evaluation, our specialized team is trained to identify and address these connections, providing comprehensive treatment that integrates sex addiction therapy and mental health support. We understand the complexities of these conditions and are dedicated to helping your child navigate their unique challenges, offering individualized hypersexuality treatments tailored to their specific needs. With our expertise, we can guide your child towards a healthier future.
Oxbow Academy’s Comprehensive Approach to Hypersexuality Treatment For Teens
Oxbow Academy's sex-specific treatment approach is uniquely tailored for adolescents, focusing on a holistic and strength-based methodology. Our program takes a comprehensive and individualized approach to hypersexuality treatment for teenagers. This includes three main phases to the program:
- Evaluation & Treatment Planning: It is crucial to fully understand the magnitude and underlying factors behind your son's compulsive sexual behavior in order to find effective solutions and provide the support he needs. Oxbow Academy provides the most comprehensive evaluation possible for teenage boys with sexually inappropriate behavior.
- Specialized Hypersexuality Treatment Designed for Teens: All of Oxbow’s therapists are CSAT-certified or trained. Many of them are also certified or trained in additional modalities, including CBT, DBT, EMDR, and more. This allows Oxbow to provide trauma-informed treatment that is individualized to the unique needs of each student. Through a combination of specialized CSAT therapy and tailored treatment plans, we work closely with our students to address the underlying factors contributing to their behavior.
- Safely Transitioning Students to Their Next Steps: Our goal is to prepare students to return to society and live happy successful lives. To meet that goal, Oxbow has designed a specific program to help parents and students make that transition.
Our comprehensive and individualized approach to hypersexuality treatment for teenagers aims to provide a safe and nurturing environment for healing. Every student will participate in:
- Weekly individual therapy sessions
- Weekly family therapy sessions
- Daily group therapy, equine therapy, recreational therapy, or community focus group sessions
- On weekdays, our Cognia-accredited, year-round school offers daily instruction using our Blended Learning model. This model combines a digital curriculum with in-person, teacher-led instruction and hands-on experiential learning opportunities.
At Oxbow Academy, the safety of our students is of paramount importance. We are dedicated to enhancing our security measures continually, ensuring a safe, transparent, and accountable environment for both students and staff.
Building a Healthier, Safer Future for Your Child
At Oxbow Academy, we understand the challenges and concerns you may have as a parent when it comes to your child's problematic sexual behaviors. We want to assure you that you're not alone in this journey. Our dedicated team of professionals is here to guide and support you and your child every step of the way. You can trust Oxbow Academy to provide compassionate and effective support for your child's recovery.
Our goal is to provide a safe and nurturing environment where teenagers can heal, develop healthy coping mechanisms, and build a brighter future. With our expertise and compassionate support, we can help your son and family heal, giving you all a second chance at a healthier and safer future. Contact our admissions team and start healing today.
You Have Questions, We Have Answers. Your Call is Confidential.
Oxbow Academy is fully operational during the COVID-19 crisis. Contact us if you need help with treatment for sexual addiction, sexual abuse, pornography abuse and other compulsive behavior issues.
Knowing When to Seek Help
Many parents find it difficult to tell healthy curiosity about sex from a potentially dangerous situation. There are clinical evaluations that can help make that determination easier. One of these evaluations is the Sexual Addiction Screening Test (SAST).
On the SAST, you will answer a series of simple yes or no questions about their teen. The answers are completely confidential. No information connects you to your assessment. After you complete the SAST, you will be taken to a new page that shows a score representing the level of risk.
After you get your score, you will have the chance to request a call from someone who can help answer your questions. You will only be contacted if you make a request. Whether you request a call or not, your information will remain confidential, and you will be under no obligation.